Head Pastry Chef Michael Coggan shares his recipe for an indulgent chocolate dessert with a tropical twist from mango and coconut.
A great dinner party dessert, you can prepare the elements of Michael’s dessert in advance.
DARK CHOCOLATE CREMEUX WITH MANGO SORBET AND COCONUT
Dark chocolate cremeux (see recipe below)
Mango sorbet (see recipe below)
Mango purée (see recipe below)
20g dried coconut slices
A ripe mango, diced
1. Place swipe of mango purée on one side of the plate (you can use a pastry brush or a spoon).
2. Place the dark chocolate cremeux into piping bag.
3. Pipe one large, one medium and one small dot of cremeux next to each other and repeat twice more, further down the plate.
4. Place a scoop of the sorbet about a third of the way down the swipe of purée.
5. Garnish with dried coconut pieces and fresh mango.
For the cremeux
300ml double cream
150ml whole milk
110g egg yolks (about 6 large egg yolks)
50g caster sugar
240g dark chocolate, broken up into chunks
1. Bring the cream and milk to the boil, then remove from heat and allow to cool for few minutes.
2. Whisk together the sugar with the egg yolks.
3. Pour the warmed cream over the egg yolks and sugar mixture, and return to the stove. Cook until the mixture coats the back of the spoon and holds when you draw a finger through it.
4. Place the dark chocolate in a large bowl and then pour over the custard mixture. Stir to melt the chocolate.
5. Place into an airtight container and leave to set in the fridge for at least two hours.
For the mango sorbet
3 ripe mangos, diced
250g icing sugar, sifted
2 lemons, juice only
1. Place the diced mango into a food processor with the icing sugar and lemon juice. Blend to a purée.
2. Transfer the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn to freeze, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Once frozen, remove and place into an airtight container. Cover and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
For the mango purée
2 ripe mangos, diced
Icing sugar, to taste
1. Add the diced mango with a little water to a food processor to make smooth purée. Depending on how ripe the mangos are, you may need to add little icing sugar.